Sunday 29 September 2019

Free topic! Football (200 words.)


Related image

Ever since I can remember, I’ve loved football. In fact, since I was 15 years old, I’ve been going to the stadium to watch my team Universidad de Chile. Every home game, I’m there. However, for the past few years my feelings towards men professional football have been changing. There are things I used to accept that, now that I’m older, I cannot accept anymore. I could talk about the treatment of women in the sport, the treatment of women and lgbtq+ people by the fans and their chants, the racism, the ridiculous levels of competition, the outrageous money being moved, the corruption of its head organisation FIFA, and so much more. I am going to focus on one in particular: The World Cup in Qatar in 2022. First of all, it was a product of bribes; they didn’t win clean, they paid to get the World Cup (as many others have done before). Second, the Qatari government is using football to clean its image while, because of the World Cup and Qatari working conditions, 1,200 workers have died already just to be prepared for the event. I love the sport, but everyday it gets more difficult to love it.

5 comments:

  1. I also love football, but everything that happens around that show is a horror

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved soccer too, but today I have contradictory feelings about it. Currently, I only play the sport, because watching matches kind of bores me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no :( I love football too, but with those conditions it only becomes one more place of abuse. I feel sad and disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like football when I was child, but actually I bored a little

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the footbal too since a was a girl, and my favorite team is the "universidad catolica"

    ReplyDelete